Thursday, September 3, 2009

Being a Business Owner Stinks!

WOW!!! I am so tired. I have worked 5 months now without a day off, going in at 5 o'clock in the morning. Owning a business is not as exciting and rewarding as I thought it would be. In fact it is very stressful. The bills just keep coming in and I'm at the point now that I am wondering how I will pay them.

My sales are going up in baby steps, but I need a giant leap. I used to work for cooperate America but now I have learned to really dislike them. Many of you know I opened my own store, I lease the building from a gasoline jobber and sell their gas for a commission. Across the street is the dreaded Walmart of Convenience stores RACE TRAC, they under cut me in prices with every move I make. I ask how do you compete with something like this, they have the buying power and the cooperate clout.

After being a 27 year employee of 7-Eleven (manager) I really believe the big guys like 7-Eleven, Hess, and Race Trac are out to put the small business owner out of business. Its kinda like forgetting what its like to be new. They are greedy and not willing to share the market area with anyone.

I think back in April I must have been delusional!!!! (LOL);)

2 comments:

Sandy22 said...

Robin,

Here I am revisiting some of my favorite sites and now that it is November, I hope things have improved with your store. You were very frustrated in September and I could see why.

I often wonder how owners do it with such competition. In Ventura, CA, many corners have two and sometimes four gas stations, but they all seem to be busy.

What if you could add another "attention drawer" that was different. A line of special greeting cards, bake goods, ??? Maybe you could find local owners or artists who would work on consignment....it could be any item.

I wish you the best.....don't be too hard on yourself. The economy is ruff for all and we have Washington, D.C. to put most of the blame on.

Sandy

Robin said...

Thanks Sandy, things are a little better and we are going to add fresh produce, but everything is a process. The scale just arrived today and now I have to get the state to certify it I was hoping to be ready before Thanksgiving but not possible but for sure before Christmas. And maybe someday (soon) I can give myself a paycheck. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!