Sunday, February 8, 2009

Vegetable Garden

We have decided to combat the high prices at the grocery store by growing our own vegetables. After doing a lot of research online we decided to do raised box gardening and combine it with a technique called square foot gardening. We have five raised boxes and made a mixture for our own soil. Square foot gardening calls for using 1/3 compost, 1/3 peatmoss, 1/3 vermiculite, I decided against the vermiculite after reading that it is a cancer causing agent. We substituted the vermiculite with a very good mixture of vegetable gardening soil. Each plant is started from seeds using mini greenhouses and the peatmoss things that look like a wooden nickle, add water and they poof up, plant your seeds and sit back and wait. We however did not have to wait long, within 2 days my broccoli and caluiflower had sprouted and shortly there after the tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, corn,yellow onions, scallions, and pole beans were off and running. They only ones I'm still waiting on is the bell peppers and celery, they just started to show sprouts this morning. Yesterday we planted all the other seedlings in our raised beds. I just hope we don't get any more freezes here in Florida. Oh yeah the only one we could not do a transplant on was the carrots, we just put the seeds straight into the ground yesterday, I love carrots I hope these turn out good and flavorful. As my Garden grows I'll have to up date you on the photos. But in about 60 days we should have one heck of a salad.





This is my very handsome son trying out his handy work with power tools.

























































2 comments:

papercages said...

Great pictures. I remember how much fun it is to plant seeds and then see the tiny sprouts pop up. I hope your garden turns out wonderful. I look forward to seeing it grow. Too bad you can't e-mail fresh vegetables I'd get on the list. ;)

Robin said...

It may not be as tasty as the real thing, but I can always email you pictures of the veggies!!