Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Battle Of Ballast Point - A Civil War Reenactment

Today we got out of the house for a little while and ventured down to Fort Desoto Park for the 10th annual reenactment of The Battle Of Ballast Point. Very cool, this was my first time ever going to a reenactment. I enjoyed myself a lot. While I was there I took 244 photographs and I had a hard time choosing which ones to share with you. It was quite the day, wandering through the camp, watching a trial and execution, and then the main event the battle. The folks that took part in this event deserve a huge round of applause, they did a fantastic job. The guns and cannons sounded so real it was, I would imagine, just like being there.
A brief History on the Battle:
The Battle of Ballast Point took place in Tampa, Florida on October 18, 1863. A Union raiding party, landed at the current intersection of Gandy Boulevard and Bayshore Boulevard, under the protracted diversionary bombardment of the city of Tampa and Fort Brooke by two ships, one the Tahoma" and the other, to be named. The Union divisions marched up the Hillsborough River to what is now Lowry Park and burned two notorious blockade running ships, the Scottish Chieftain, and the Kate Dale, owned by the future mayor of Tampa, James McKay. Escaping capture by mere minutes, with members of his crew in tow, James McKay sped to the city of Tampa and warned all of the landing party and the fate of his ships.
After burning the ships, the Confederate forces were alerted to the raiding party's location, and commenced pursuit. A confederate cavalry unit (Oklawaha Rangers) caught up with the Union raiders, finally and a full engagement ensued. The union soldiers came under direct fire as they boarded their dinghies, in a tactical retreat.
Lives were lost. Prisoners captured on both sides.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ballast_Point"
THE CAMP




























THE PRISIONERS







THE TRIAL











THE EXECUTION







THE BATTLE






























































2 comments:

papercages said...

Wow, that would be something to see. For De Soto was my favorite beach when I lived in Florida. I remember wandering around looking at things in the park the first time I went, but I don't remember much except a huge banyan tree. Of course that was over 30 years ago. Thanks for sharing the pics and the info. How's the garden?

Sandy22 said...

My oh my, this was really eerie. I felt like it was real - the pictures are so authentic, just like looking at a drama on television. Excellent job.

This might be an excellent Squidoo lens for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Sandy